All through history God has used "one" to accomplish His purposes. Jesus Christ His own son was the epic example of this. In Romans 5, Paul details how by one man, Adam, sin came into the world but then the gift of grace came by one man, Christ Jesus.
I think of Noah and how God used one man, who was righteous in His generation, to save the human race and build an ark. I think of Abraham and his choice to follow God to a new country, not having any idea what would transpire. I think of Joseph, the one man in Egypt who trusted the God of his fathers and was used to save his people. I think of Daniel, the one man who prayed when others bowed, and how his faith led a king and an entire country to choose repentance. I think of Joseph and how God used this one man to protect Mary the mother of Jesus as well as to father the Christ child through childhood. I think of Paul the Apostle, the one man God used to bring the Gospel to the Gentiles. I think of Stephen, the one man who was the first martyr because he was willing to speak the truth.
Mary was that one woman that God knew He could trust to say yes to carrying the Christ child. Elizabeth was that one woman chosen to have a child in her old age; the child who became that one man who was the forerunner of Christ. Rebecca was that one woman for Isaac, and Sarah was that one woman who deserved mention in Hebrews 11 because she trusted God and Abraham in faith. Deborah was that one woman who inspired Barak to go to battle.
Then I sit back and think of the price. Every single one of these people had to pay an enormous price. Jesus paid with His life as well as His reputation and comfort. Noah was mocked and scorned for building an ark in the middle of dry weather. Abraham left all that was near and dear to him and took the risk of moving his family into unknown territory. Joseph was stuck in a prison far from family and friends for years on end. Daniel risked his life to pray and was ridiculed and attacked by opposition. Joseph jeopardized his clean reputation by marrying Mary. Paul's life was constantly in danger, and he left all that was comfortable and familiar to him. Stephen lost his physical life because he spoke the truth.
Then we get to Mary, a woman ostracized and accused falsely by society. She was nearly divorced by her fiancee, but saved by God's intervention. Her life was one of deep pain as she watched her Son live out his ministry and die a terrible death. Elizabeth was willing to walk by faith and carry a child in her old age. Rebecca left behind all that she knew and travelled with a strange servant to a strange land to marry a man she had never met. Talk about faith! Sarah's life was anything but easy as she travelled with Abraham across the land. She was taken into a King's palace and nearly given in marriage to him. She was barren for years but then finally gave birth to a miracle child in her 90s. Deborah was willing to go to war.
I look at their examples and I ask myself the question: Am I willing to pay the price and walk in faith, or would I rather settle for a half-in sort of commitment? Truth is, Jesus never negotiates that way. Scripture asks us to deny ourselves, take up our cross and follow Him. Oh that there would be more men and women willing to be that one person that God uses.
As stated by John Knox, "A man with God is always in the majority."
![]() |
Image by bedneyimages on Magnific |
— E.M. Bounds

No comments:
Post a Comment