Thursday 13 June 2024

Will You be That Place?

According to John Elfleim on Statista, mosquitoes are the deadliest animal in the world. They cause around 1,000,000 deaths per year by bringing viruses such as malaria, the West Nile Virus, and dengue viruses. Snakes are the second deadliest animal, causing around 100,000 deaths per year while dogs come in at 300,000 and lions at 250.

I quote these statistics to bring out a point. In my short (getting longer) existence among the human population I have observed a syndrome I will call "back-biting". I do believe it is one of the deadliest killers among mankind. It wrecks churches, stifles marriages, wreaks havoc on friendships, and brings catastrophe in work places. 

I was doing a bit of reading in 1 Corinthians 13 and came across verse 5 which states, "thinketh no evil." Now there is a place to simply face the facts and call out sin, but if your brother's financial sense just isn't want it ought to be, or your sister's dress is an inch to short, perhaps it would be wisest to retreat into your prayer closer and do a bit of digging and praying. 

Dig into your heart (or I should say allow God to) deep enough to release any poisonous pride and jealousy. Then bend low enough to allow that brother or sister to be more important than you. ( Philippians 2:3) Consider their feelings, their spiritual well-being and their hearts. Bring them to the Father and let Him do the work. He can do far more than any tongue-wagging has ever accomplished. 

<a href="https://www.vecteezy.com/free-photos/meaning">Meaning Stock photos by Vecteezy</a>

The second thing we need to consider is the issue of safety. I believe that silence is a quiet killer in many places. Because there is the potential of back-biting, many victims of abuse, people who are simply struggling in life, and people who have a vision for change remain silent. Silent for fear they will be judged, shot down, and ostracized. Silent for fear all the neighbours and fellow church members will be clued into the very deepest and vulnerable parts of their heart.

I believe that as Christians it is our duty and our calling to be a safe place for people. A place for people to be heard and understood. A place where they can truly speak their innnermost thoughts and feelings without fear or condemnation. It requires setting ourselves aside and letting the heart of Jesus be foremost. 


The question is...Will you be that place?




1 comment:

  1. Amen!!!! Church should be a safe place. I want to do my best to be that! Such good thoughts, Corrine.

    ReplyDelete

Tombs, Shells, or the Real Deal?

Sometimes I sigh at the lack of passion for Christ I see these days, and other times I stumble upon people or events that bless and remind m...