Wednesday 26 June 2024

Only Fifteen...

I believe he was. A young hooded man with white headphones covering his ears, crossing the street in front of me. He was oblivious to my presence until I bluntly asked him a question, "Have you ever thought about what will happen after you die?" 

Looking back, I am still amazed at my boldness! But what I really remember, is his answer, or lack thereof, to that question. 

He turned to face me out of his music reverie with an utterly blank look on his face. A few more questions led to the knowledge that he really had never truly considered this question before. I guess the thought of life after death was foreign territory to him. 

As I left that conversation behind me, a certain horror was edged into my heart that has never left. I realized the utter depravity of many youth in our world. Many in our culture are practically Bible illiterate. The last Bible verses have floated away with their grandparents, leaving them to movies, social media of all kinds, and sports to take the place of truth. Little time is left to think about eternity or why we are here on earth in the first place. Life becomes a rat race for fun instead of pursuing a relationship with God the Creator. 

I have never left my love or concern for teenagers behind. As I teach them in school, talk to them at youth, meet them on the streets, and see them at their jobs, I care about them more deeply than ever. I believe that each youth has a deep calling on their life. To know Jesus Christ and to walk out a life of love and devotion to Him. Of course, each one also has a special calling in accordance with the gifts the Spirit gives. As churches, we do well to bless and disciple our youth as they reach out in discovery of God's plan for their lives. 


When I see young people neglected or going down the wrong path, I can't help but feel torn. A couple years ago, my family sang in a prison in South Carolina. That evening the house was packed out with an unusually young crowd. The inmates in that prison were aged 17 and up, with some of them reaching into their 30s and 40s. They were enthusiastic and clapped well, but I remember leaving that service with a single question. Why?

I spoke with God on that one for a bit. Why did I get to have the upbringing I had? Why did I get to attend church every Sunday, have two loving parents, and receive godly discipline and guidance while many of these young men came from homes with substance abuse, divorce and absent parents, poverty, half siblings and step-parents, gang violence, homelessness, etc. etc. Seriously! Why? Life seemed completely unfair! But as I persisted in my questioning, God clearly communicated. "Corrine, I gave it so you could share it. You are supposed to go to those who don't have what you do. Show them my love. Show them that I want to know them."

And there was the call, as clear as that. Ever since, Jesus and I have walked together to fulfill that in a variety of ways. The world is calling for us, desperate for what we have.
They are hungry for our Bread and thirsting for our Water. We must go. ❤️


<a href="https://www.vecteezy.com/free-photos/account">Account Stock photos by Vecteezy</a>


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tombs, Shells, or the Real Deal?

Sometimes I sigh at the lack of passion for Christ I see these days, and other times I stumble upon people or events that bless and remind m...