Sunday 25 August 2024

Reconciling Conservatism With Evangelism

I have been doing a lot of thinking lately which seems to be a habit of mine. 😃 

Much of that train of thought has found it's way back to a question I asked myself quite a number of years ago. I have a heart for missions and sharing the Gospel, but I reached a time in my life where I felt like "the only one." Let me explain. 

As I surveyed the bulk of the people around me, it seemed that they were concerned with a variety of things other than evangelism. Doctrinal issues were highly debated, differences in dress deeply ingrained, family traditions strongly maintained, business performance well charted, church services conducted appropriately, etc. In fact, I would say they were busy with good things. However, I felt called to speak. To share the Gospel out loud with a world that was dying silently. 

So I began to ask the question. "Is it possible for me, as a Mennonite woman, to be a bold declarer of the Gospel?" If you read my previous post, "Mennonites: The Silent in the Land", you may understand why this question was a difficult one for me. I remember vividly, the day I wrote three different options for my life on a piece of paper and circled the one mentioned above. I reached the conclusion that boldness was possible, but I would need to be ok with being odd and different and out of the norm at times just like many Christians over the centuries have been.  

Throughout the years, I have continued to wrestle with questions and issues as they arise and have come to see that many of us are in one ditch or the other. In fact, whole churches are veering far left or far right. Some focus highly on evangelism and offer faulty doctrine and poor discipleship. Others fear change and concentrate so carefully on  guarding doctrine and disciplining their current members, that they forget to go out and win more souls for the Master. 


<a href="https://www.vecteezy.com/free-photos/tug-of-war">Tug Of War Stock photos by Vecteezy</a>

The question I have is, can these two lines of thought, which are both part of Scripture, go together in a balanced and healthy way? 

As I observe the Apostle Paul's life, I see a beautiful picture of balance. He was constantly preaching to Gentiles who had never heard the Gospel. At the same time, he warned, guided, and admonished the churches he was taking care of. Doctrine and evangelism to him were two necessities that fit together hand in hand in the Kingdom of Jesus Christ. 

This summer, I visited a lovely church in Southern Ontario. I used to teach in that community to a time. But as I sat in their midst once more, I was amazed. I was impressed by the number of people involved in ministry to some degree or another, but what blessed me even more, was the way the entire church was behind them and working with them. This specific church has a garden that they maintain in order to provide food for the needy. Some of the older women are involved in community ministries and a few of their youth have ventured off to far off lands. 

As I listened, the pastor got up and began to preach a sermon about one-anothering. Later that day, another one spoke on a few points of doctrine. I couldn't help but notice how well-rounded they were. Based on truth, but reaching out. 

Jesus spoke truth at every turn, and yet He had such compassion in His heart that He reached out to those around Him.

I realize that there are many gifts in our churches. Some are called to preach, some teach, some to evangelize. I believe a lot of good can happen in a church as members work together. When the evangelist appreciates the one who expounds on solid doctrine and the preacher in the home pulpit gladly supports the one walking outside the walls, churches become solid powerhouses for the kingdom of God. 

As my Dad always says, muscles and bones are mandatory in every church and in every organization. 

"Alignment comes from the bones; movement comes from the muscles."(bodymindcentering.com)


3 comments:

  1. That is very well said! I love your gift with words. I think the older we get ghe more we notice & appreciate how the body of Christ works together. Instead of presuming what others should be doing we need to extend honor to our fellow brothers & sisters & allow God to bring out the best in each other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah yes, Corrine, this is beautiful. Amen and amen.

    ReplyDelete

Tombs, Shells, or the Real Deal?

Sometimes I sigh at the lack of passion for Christ I see these days, and other times I stumble upon people or events that bless and remind m...